Essential oils are gaining popularity for a variety of uses in humans and animals alike. In this article we will try to tell you that how you can use essential oils safely on your pets. They can be used as a treatment for illnesses, can be used for mental health and calming, and can even be used in pet training programs.
Assess whether your pet could benefit from essential oils.
People use essential oils for a variety of specific ailments. They are most often used to treat skin ailments, anxiety, and pest control. If your pet is having one of these issues, essential oils may be good solution.
- The effectiveness of essential oils for healing ailments is still up for debate, even though many have been used for centuries. Overall, there is more scientific research should be there to verify their true benefits.
Use a very small amount of essential oil.
When giving your pet essential oil therapy, you want to use a small amount because many pets have very strong senses of smell. For example, if diffusing the essential oil in a room spray, you only want one to two drops for every cup of water. We recommend that you use very little amount of essential oils, so you can use safely on pets.
Choose a way to apply the essential oil.
The application of essential oils can be done several ways, depending on what you are using them for. You can use them by diffusing, such as a spray bottle, or you can apply directly to the skin after diluting.
- If intending to apply directly to the skin, and you have a pure form of the essential oil, you will need to dilute it with a carrier oil, such as coconut or vegetable oil. It’s best to consult with a professional about the ratio of essential oil to carrier oil you should use.
- Using an essential oil to mist in the air requires only a small amount of essential oil combined with water. Put a few drops of your chosen essential oil in a cup of water and then spray or put in a diffuser.
Consult with a professional.
If you want to use essential oils to help your pet, you should consider hiring a professional trained in animal aromatherapy. Additionally, you should consult with your veterinarian before you start an essential oil regime. Talk to your veterinarian about what oils you are considering.
Buy quality essential oils from our shop.
If you want to use essential oils on your pet, make sure the oils you use are of a high quality. You can always buy out premium essential oils for your pets. We recommend that you read the uses of the essential oils before you buy them. Although you can get a lot of information by the description, but you can also read more about it online.
- It is important to use essential oils that have not been diluted with unknown substances. However, as common practice, many high quality essential oils are diluted with oils.
- A cheap essential oil is not likely to be pure. In most cases you get what you pay for.
- Essential oils shouldn’t be greasy, unless the ingredients include a diluting oil. If yours is greasy but says it is pure, then it is probably actually diluted.
- Make sure the packaging clearly states the ingredients and the concentration percentage.
Watch your pet’s response to essential oils.
Part of using essential oils on animals is watching them to make sure they are responding positively to the oil. Some refer to this as the animal “self selecting.”
- If you try to have your dog inhale lavender to calm it, for instance, and its body language shows you that it does not like the smell, then stop using the essential oil.