There are a number of different household cleaning recipes that require various essential oils, such as lemon, cinnamon, pine, rose and eucalyptus. These oils are available online or at natural food stores. Make a fresh batch of cleanser with a few drops of oil each time you clean your house, or label it and keep it at hand for spills. This article will tell you that how you can use essential oils for household cleaning.
Lavender All-Purpose Cleaner
- Fill a spray bottle 3/4 full of water. Put a few squirts of mild dish washing liquid inside the bottle.
- Add 3 to 5 drops of lavender oil. You can also replace the lavender essential oil with pine or lemon. Screw the top on the bottle and shake it well.
- Use the cleanser for kitchen, bathroom, and other household surfaces. Scrub and wipe with a water-soaked sponge after application.
Pine Floor Cleaner
- Mix 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar into a quart of water. Add 5 to 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. Most people prefer to use pine, lemon or spruce.
- Apply to the floor with a mop. Rinse with clean water after a few minutes of application. The essential oil will work to reduce the smell of the vinegar.
Lemon Vacuum Cleanser
- Soak a small tissue in 5 drops of lemon essential oil. Allow the vacuum to suck up the tissue. The smell of the oil will take away the dusty smell of the vacuum.
- If the vacuum has a water reservoir, add 5 drops of lemon essential oil directly to the reservoir.
- Add 25 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to your laundry detergent when you want to clean sheets, bedding or pillows. Eucalyptus oil has been shown to kill dust mites.
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil to the laundry detergent when washing cloth diapers. This has been shown to have extra disinfectant qualities.
- Add 2 drops of lemon essential oil on a stain. Rub it into the fabric and allow it to sit on the stain for a few minutes before placing it inside a washing machine.
- Wet a clean washcloth with water and 10 drops of lemon, lavender, ylang ylang, clove, melaleuca, bergamot essential oil. Place it inside the dryer along with your other clothes. Your load of laundry will smell like the oil of your choice.
Essential Oil Window Cleaner
- Place 1 cup of distilled white vinegar inside a spray bottle. Pour in water until the bottle is 3/4 full. Shake the spray bottle to mix the vinegar and water.
- Add 10 drops of lemon essential oil. Shake again. Spray onto window surfaces and wipe off with a lint-free cloth or paper towel.